When asked about the purpose of studying medicine or health sciences, Australia is arguably one of the most developed countries in the field. Australia offers several of its best health and medical science universities, to produce graduates who will help advance the health and medical industry of Australia and other countries in the future.
Health science in Australia refer to several areas of study about how one can fill out prescriptions and give advice for the right time to take medication. Not only that, the students will also learn about how to become a medical technician, a pharmacist in a hospital, and how to become a pharmacy manager. Of course, the skills to become medical personnel such as doctors and nursing will also be learned while studying in the health and medical majors in Australia.
The entire study will be offered for several programs, such as diplomas, undergraduate, master programs and doctoral degree courses. You just have to choose the program that suits your needs.
The duration of undergraduate programs in health sciences is usually 3 or 4 years and is taught in English. The postgraduate program takes from 6 months to 2 years depending on the level of qualification and credit you have passed in the undergraduate program. Some programs require students to complete field work as part of their program. You can see the program requirements before registering.
Usually these programs are clinical-based programs that require professional registration with an accreditation body and must be maintained during your career in the health sector. Field work is a good opportunity to practice the knowledge and abilities you have learned and work directly with clients. Many universities also provide field work opportunities for non-clinical health and public health lecture programs to prepare students for employment.
Why study Health Science?
Here are a few reasons for studying health science in general:
- To help the sick. Can work in the health sciences as a doctor, nurse or pharmacist, has its own pride. The reason is, when it can help sick people and try to cure them from their illnesses, it is a maximum happiness for the medical staff and also the patients. With health and medical studies, it will help you prepare and manage difficult times when handling patients later.
- Broad career opportunities. After graduating with a major in health science in Australia, you can get broad career opportunities in promising related fields. Field of work in hospitals, research institutes to the medical department. You do not need to be confused to choose a career later, because during college, there is plenty of time to determine the right career in the health and medical sciences.
- To have a permanent and stable job. Working and having a career in the health and medical sciences can also make you have a more stable and permanent job with a high income. All of this depends on the chosen field of specialization. Some fields that offer high income such as public health, nursing, dentists and biomedical engineers.
- Research in health sciences. If you are continuing your tertiary education, such as postgraduate in the fields of health sciences, then doing research, then the results of these studies can be useful for later use in the health sciences industry and help many people.
Australia has a reputation as an ‘lucky country’, relaxed lifestyle, has more than 10,000 beaches, good weather all year round, unique wildlife and affordable living costs. Five of the top 30 best student cities in the world are in Australia; based on student composition, cost of living, company activities and quality of life.
The Australian Government is actively supporting international students through a Federal Government scholarship of $ 200 million per year for international students. Australia is also the third most popular destination in the world for international students. Eight of the top 100 universities in the world are in Australia.
More than 260 languages are spoken in Australia and five of the top 40 cities with the best urban infrastructure in the world are in Australia. Not surprising, Australia is the fourth happiest country in the world.
Job prospects after graduation
After graduating from health majors in Australia, your next desire is to be able to work in the same field with good career prospects and promising income. According to collegegrad.com, the average graduate from the health science majors works in several sectors such as:
- Medical Assistant, has the duty to assist the main task of Pharmacists in the service of health sciences and medicine.
- Pharmacists, to be responsible in choosing and providing medicine for certain patients
- Beauty consultants, their job is to analyze consumers and provide recommendations for the best beauty products that are suitable for consumers’ skin types with various factors
- Health education counselor, his job is to provide education and training in the field of health sciences for health professionals
- Medical lecturer, teaching in the fields of medicine and health sciences at universities or medical schools
- Nurses / nursing, has a duty to serve patients, provide information about health science and disease prevention
- The surgeon has the task of carrying out a surgical procedure for a particular disease in a hospital patient
- General practitioners, have a duty to prioritize public health science services to the public so that they are carried out properly
- Dentists, have the duty to provide services and dental treatment and make medical records for patients
- Nutritionist, has the duty to provide services in the field of nutrition to the community
Universities in Australia offer Bachelor of Health Science
Here are some of the best universities for health majors to choose from:
The 3 years Bachelor of Health Sciences allows you to apply scientific approaches to improve health challenges, keeping in mind physiological, behavioural, developmental, social and environmental aspects of human health. Have the opportunity to tailor your degree to pursue a variety of health science careers.
- Equivalent Australian Year 12
- 6.5 overall score for IELTS (Academic), with minimum band scores: Listening 6.0, Reading 6.0, Writing 6.0 and Speaking 6.0.
The program starts in February and costs A$34,200. Monash University also offers scholarships valued at up to $280,000.
University of Technology Sydney
The Bachelor of Health Science is a flexible and innovative degree that equips graduates with qualifications to help make a difference across diverse settings of healthcare provision. The duration is 3 years full time or
6 years part time and tuition fee is $16300 per session.
You have to provide IELTS (Academic): 6.5 overall, writing 6.0 or TOEFL (Internet-based): 79–93 overall, writing 21.
Western Sydney University
This 3 years degree combines study with hands-on experience and allows you to specialise in one or two specialisations in health. With opportunities to specialise in the areas of health promotion, health services management, therapeutic recreation and public health. The program is designed to give you the skills you need to work with clients and develop great services which promote health and well-being.
You can choose to apply for Autms (March) or Spring (July) intake. International students fee is AUD $26,760. For international students, admission is through direct application to the university with IELTS equal to 6.5 or above.
The 3 years full time Bachelor of Health Sciences is a course that will allow you to become a key driver in the future of dynamic and capable healthcare, policy and systems.
English language requirements: Overall IELTS score of 6.5 with no band less than 6.0 (or equivalent).
International students fee: $32,000 for 1 year full-time AUD
University of South Australia
UniSa offers Bachelor of Health Science (Public Health) starts in February. The duration is 3 years full time in City campus. The program costs AUD$ 31,000 per annum (per 1.0 EFTSL).
- IELTS total [6.5]
- IELTS reading [6.5]
- IELTS writing [6.5]
- IELTS speaking [6.5]
- IELTS listening [6.5]
Bachelor of Science (Health Sciences) is a 3 years full-time program with total indicative fee $103,100.
Curtin requires all applicants to demonstrate proficiency in English. Specific English requirements for this course are outlined below.
- Writing 6.0
- Speaking 6.0
- Reading 6.0
- Listening 6.0
- Overall band score 6.5
The University of Sydney
The Bachelor of Health Sciences provides a pathway to many careers in health care. Students must complete two majors in this three-year degree. Tuition Fee for International Students (Year 1): $48,500 (indicative only).
- English requirements: A minimum result of 7.0 overall and a minimum result of 7.0 in each band
- Applications period 21 October 2019 – 24 January 2020
University of Queensland
The Bachelor of Health Sciences is a three-year program that provides a comprehensive overview of health and health care, including biomedicine, healthcare ethics, public health, psychology and nutrition. The “indicative annual fee” is AUD $37,344.
If you’re applying directly to UQ, the closing date for the Bachelor of Health Sciences is:
- To commence study in semester 2 – May 31 of the year of commencement.
- To commence study in semester 1 – November 30 of the previous year.
- Completion of an Australian Senior Secondary Certificate (VCE or equivalent) including Units 3 and 4: a study score of at least 25 in English (EAL) or 20 in any other English (or equivalent). OR:
- Completion of an Australian Advanced Diploma or Diploma (or equivalent). PLUS:
- IELTS (or equivalent): Overall score or 6.0 (with no band less than 6.0 in Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking). OR:
- Completion of a Foundation course or equivalent.
International students fee is A$16,400 per semester.
For more information, please contact us: