Accounting is the process of tracing financial transactions of a company. As long as there is a financial transaction, companies need to track the entry and exit of their funds to determine the profit and loss earned. This is very important in assessing progress in a company.
Today, many companies have a finance department that is willing to hire fresh graduates. This department not only deals with the financial turnover, income and production costs of a company, but also takes care of taxation laws. In addition, these financial data will be used to predict the expansion of the company concerned.
Bachelor of Accounting is one of the majors that is most sought after by prospective new students. Why is the Accounting major so popular? One of the determining factors is that career opportunities in the Accounting fields are considered to be much needed by companies. Which office does not need financial staff?
There are 5 concentration majors that you can choose according to your interests. The details are as follows:
- Accounting information system. Students will be directed at their ability to design information systems. The system will affect the running of the accounting cycle, both manually and computerized.
- Financial Accounting. The ability of students to process reports and the company’s accounting cycle will really be directed to this department. Students are also directed how to develop and analyze accounting in a company.
- Accounting Examination (Audit). At this concentration, students will be directed to the ability to audit various things. From financial statement audits, e-data process audits and financial flow investigations.
- Public sector accounting. In the Public Sector Accounting department, students are guided so they can make financial reports from government agencies, both central and regional.
- Taxation Accounting. In this department, get ready to be bombarded with various things about taxation. Such as tax reports, tax audits, tax management, to systems that support taxation.
Is studying Accounting right for me?
If you have passion for finance, want to dive deeper into the business world and want your career to be successful while working in a company, maybe Accounting major is the right choice.
However, studying Accounting does not mean only relying on Mathematics and Business talents. An interest in Law and Economics is also needed. Why is that? because in addition to being required to master a variety of knowledge regarding financial transactions, you will also be required to learn the law regarding taxation and financial policy. So, accounting is not as simple as arithmetic, but also covers a broad field of study.
Therefore, prospective students who wish to take this major must be responsive, willing to work hard, and also willing to take the time to read a lot even if they are not in class hours.
Most graduates from the Accounting Department pursue careers as an Accountant. However, because this department covers broad fields of study such as Business Structure, Law and Economics, it is not uncommon for graduates from the Department of Accounting to also be accepted to work in other fields of management.
Because Accounting students are required to master how to process financial data during college, many graduates are also accepted to work in Banking. For example working as a financial advisor at a bank. Another alternative is to work as a risk analyzer in insurance companies.
There are many more choices for graduates of the Accounting Department. For example working at a non-profit organization. Here, graduates can write proposals to request funding or make grant applications. If graduates choose to pursue careers outside the field of Accounting, they can also find suitable jobs in Sales, Marketing, Advertising, Law and even in Journalism.
Study Accounting at university
Bachelor of Accounting generally last for 3 years. In the 2nd or 3rd stage, students are required to have an internship. There are also a number of Postgraduate Accounting programs available especially for graduates with high classifications and natural talent for Mathematics, Economics or even Business.
For all levels, prospective students who come from countries that do not speak English as the main language are required to pass an IELTS test with a minimum grade of 6.0-6.5.
Students are also expected to attend lectures regularly, and will be assessed through a combination of examinations with written projects. In addition, they are also encouraged to participate in internships as part of their lecture programs.
Where to study; Universities in Australia offering Bachelor of Accounting
The most important thing to consider when you decide where to study is the choice of modules available at each university. The core modules offered can be similar between one university and another. But the optional modules offered can differ depending on the institution. so you should find out more clearly about the modules offered, whether they are in accordance with your field of interest and will benefit your career after graduating from college.
You should always be aware of entry requirements and consider your own financial condition before submitting an application to the university of your choice. Does your grade qualify? Can you afford the tuition and living expenses? If financial conditions are still an obstacle, you can try to get a scholarship.
What is also important to consider is to make sure that you choose a university that achieves and offers a plus in your chosen career field. Many well-known companies have established cooperative relationships with certain universities, where graduates will be recruited by these companies.
The location of the university is also one factor that must be considered. Remember that you will study for at least 3 years. New culture and socializing with new people are also an important part of a student’s life in a foreign country. Make sure that the university of your choice is located in an environment where you will develop socially and academically.
Australian National University
The Bachelor of Accounting is designed to develop your knowledge and skills in reporting, analysing and managing financial resources in business and government entities. In addition the degree offers flexibility for you to study in related disciplines of your interest, including finance, business information systems, management, marketing, international business and corporate sustainability.
- Admission Requirements: IELTS 6.5 overall (min. 6.0 in each subtest)
- Tuition fee: $46,080.00
The University of Adelaide
Bachelor of Accounting teaches fluency in the language of business and finance. You will:
- explore economic concepts, theories and analytical techniques
- learn the fundamentals of financial and management accounting
- understand auditing and taxation in depth
- study economics, business mathematics and business law
- consider technology’s role and ways to build positive client relationships
- work on industry projects and internships.
Bachelor of Accounting duration is 3 year and costs $41,000.
Entry Requirements: IELTS Overall 6.5, Reading 6, Listening 6, Speaking 6, Writing 6
Central Queensland University
Bachelor of Accounting is a 3 years full-time, 6 years part-time degree and costs AUD $29.130. Applicants are required to provide evidence of completion of:
- a secondary qualification (Year 11 and 12, or equivalent), or
- tertiary diploma level qualification, or
- bachelor level qualification study for a period of at least 2 years fulltime with a minimum overall GPA 4.0
- An International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic) overall band score of at least 6.0 overall with a minimum 5.5 in each subset
Western Sydney University
This course provides you with in-depth knowledge of accounting, supported by knowledge of associated disciplines of law, economics, finance and statistics.
Bachelor of Accounting duration is 3 years full time or 6 years part time. You can choose to start in March or July. International students fee is AUD $28,080. For international students, admission is through direct application to the university with IELTS equal to 6.5 or above.
University of Canberra
The aim of the Bachelor of Accounting is to produce highly competent, work-ready graduates with an in-depth discipline knowledge, and the technical skills needed to work as socially responsible accounting professionals across the private and public sectors.
The program costs $32,300. Admission to this course is based on an entrance rank. A rank can be achieved by the following means:
- Year 12 ATAR
- work experience
- overseas qualification
- Academic IELTS of 6.0 or equivalent, with no band score below 6.0
Australian Catholic University
Bachelor of Accounting and Finance covers financial decision-making under uncertainty which can be applied to careers in banking, financial consulting, funds management, merchant banking, stockbroking or treasury. Campus availability:
- North Sydney
This program starts in February. The duration is 3 years. Fees:
- Unit Fee: $3531.00 (2020)
- Average first year fee: $28248.00 (2020)
- Estimated Total Cost: $84744.00 (2020)
University of New England
Bachelor of Accounting is a premier undergraduate degree accredited with CPA Australia and Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ). Upon completion of the core units you will meet the entry requirements for these professional accounting bodies and the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA).
- Course duration: 3 years full-time & up to 10 years part-time.
- Course fee: AUD 28,216.00
- English language tests: An International English Language Testing System (IELTS) academic overall score of at least 6.0, with no sub-band less than 5.5.
- For direct admission into undergraduate courses offered by UNE you must have completed an educational qualification considered to be at least equivalent to completion of Year 12 in Australia.
Charles Sturt University
The Bachelor of Accounting program availability:
- On Campus – Albury-Wodonga
- On Campus – Bathurst
- On Campus – CSU Study Centre Melbourne
- On Campus – CSU Study Centre Sydney
- On Campus – Port Macquarie
- On Campus – Wagga Wagga
- Online – Bathurst
- Duration: Full-time 3 years (6.0 sessions) & part-time 6.0 years (12.0 sessions)
- Academic requirement: A completed High School Certificate (or equivalent) with an ATAR of at least 65 (including adjustment factors).
- English requirements: Academic IELTS within the last 2 years, with a minimum overall score of 6 and no individual score below 5.5
- Fee: $28,224
The focus of this course is accounting practice. It is designed to provide graduates with high-level skills in the field of accounting. As a graduate you will be qualified to pursue a career in a wide variety of occupations.
- Course duration: 3 years FT, 6 years PT
- English requirements: 6.5 overall score for IELTS (Academic), with minimum band scores: Listening 6.0, Reading 6.0, Writing 6.0 and Speaking 6.0
- Start date: First Semester (February), Second Semester (July)
- International fee: A$45,000
La Trobe University
La Trobe’s Bachelor of Accounting offers learning in career-specific areas including accounting, auditing, finance, business law and taxation. You can choose to broaden your degree by undertaking a second major or minor in areas such as financial planning, management, forensic accounting and corporate finance.
- Duration: 3 years (all campuses) or 2 years fast-track (Sydney campus only)
- Fee: 32 200
- Start: Semester 1 (March), Semester 2 (July), Summer 1 (November) 2020
- IELTS requirement: IELTS (Academic) score of 6.0 with no individual band score less than 6.0.
For more information, please contact us: